Trends Driving the Roofing Market
What makes the Roofing industry hot cake? Want to find out? Read on!
· Increasing investment in commercial real estate
· Increasing urbanization throughout the UK
· Technological development in the roofing material industry
· Increasing popularity of eco-friendly roofing technology
· Increasing number of remodeling and renovation projects
Most Popular Roofing Materials
Although metal roofing is currently the fastest growing segment of the roofing material supplies market, there are some equally great options for delivering long lasting and aesthetically sound solutions.
· Slate tile roofing – Long lasting, fireproof and beautiful but can be very expensive and require specialized installation.
· Clay tile roofing – Easy to maintain, fire-proof and durable. Tiles are however expensive, heavy, tricky to install or repair.
· Felt roofing – Essentially made from asphalt saturated paper, water resistance increases with increasing weight.
· Mastic asphalt roofing – Extremely durable and versatile, graded limestone bonded with asphaltic cement.
· Metallic sheet roofing – Expensive but low maintenance, long lasting, lightweight and extremely durable.
· Synthetic sheet roofing – Expensive but uncompromisingly waterproof, longer lasting than felt underlay.
Roof Systems: Let's learn
Roof systems can be broadly classified into low and steep slopes.
Low Slopes - Most low-slope roof membranes have three principle components: weatherproofing layer or layers, reinforcement and surfacing.
Common Flat/Low Slope Roofing Types
· Built-up roof (BUR) membranes
· Polymer-modified bitumen sheet membranes
· Thermoplastic membranes (e.g., PVC, TPO)
· Spray polyurethane foam-based (SPF) roof systems
Steep Slopes – Steep-slope roof systems typically are composed of individual pieces or components installed in shingle fashion. Steep-slope roof assemblies typically consist of three primary parts: roof deck, underlayment and roof covering.
Common Steep Slope Roofing Types
· Slate tiles
· Clay and concrete tiles
· Wood and asphalt shingles
· Sheet metal
Top Activities Covered by UK Roofers
UK Roofers are multitaskers! Just have a look at the things they do.
· Erecting roofing structures
· Installing roof coverings
· Repairing and maintaining roof coverings
· Treating roofs with spray paint, industrial coating and asphalt
· Applying roof sealer compounds and cleaning existing roofing materials
· Installing spouts, duct work, capping and drainage on roofs
Roofing Industry Quick Fact Sheet
· Roof tiles account for up to 40% of the market by value
· In 2015 the market value is set to reach 6% growth
· Flat roof membranes & felts account for around 15%
· Roofing industry total revenue per year - £4 billion
· The roofing industry employs as many as 29,625 people in the UK
· There are 7,235 roofing businesses in the UK
· Annual growth (2011 – 2016): 1.4%
· Report found that 48.7% of workers in the construction industry were manual workers out of which 5.9% are roofers